Sunday, 18 December 2016


From Thomas Walsh's History of the Irish Hierarchy:

Drogheda on the Meath side of the river Priory and hospital of St John of the order of Cross bearers was founded in it is supposed the reign of King John by Walter de Lacie who was if not the founder at least its principal benefactor It belonged to the grand establishment at Kilmainham This hospital paid annually half a marc proxies to the bishop of Meath Thomas Dane was the last prior and on the 26th of July the thirty first of king Henry VIIL was found seized of a church and belfry chapter house dormitory and dwelling with its other appurtenances In the sixth of Edward VI it was granted with a parcel of its property to James Sedgrave for ever at the annual rent of 10s 10d Carmelite friary on the Meath side of the river and convenient to the castle or garrison of Drogheda This house was founded by the inhabitants of Drogheda for Carmelites in honor of the blessed Virgin In the first year of Edward II it appears by inquisition that the corporation of Drogheda had granted to the friars of this order a piece of land containing eighty virgates and on the 23d of June 1346 Edward LTJ granted a license to Richard the son of William Massager of Drogheda permitting him to assign to this house four acres of land adjoining the same with the appurtenances for the purpose of increasing and maintaining the lights burning in honor of the blessed Virgin in this church In the year 1468 it was enacted by Parliament that this convent should for ever enjoy a chief rent of ten shillings yearly which had been granted to the burgesses of the town Part of this friary was afterwards repaired for the service of the parish ie the Protestant